Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I love girl's camp! I hope they never release me. I love the experience, getting to know the girls and what makes them tick and the spirit is so strong when you are there. Through all of the fun activities, endless hiking from our cabin to the pavilion and back, getting very little sleep and all of the little critters that like to come into our cabin I wouldn't change it for anything. We all had the opportunity to go horseback riding, repelling, bouldering, hay rides, knot tying, walking an obstacle course made of rope, Swimming in the lake, shooting rifels, and also try our hand at archery. All I ended up with was a bruise on my elbow and not one bow hit the target.

I think my main job for the week was braiding girls hair. I came prepared this year with endless rubber bands and a comb at the ready. If ever there was a free moment I could be found doing someone's hair. I didn't mind though. I enjoyed it.

We had so much fun. The YCL's went up a day earlier than the other girls so they could prepare the camp. I had a car load of girls to take up so I went along on Monday and staid the night. (NO sense in running back and forth when it's two hours away.) The girls managed to see two mice in the cabin that day and were freaking out. The first one Anna and one of her friends saw in the bathroom. They started to scream and it ran into the stall where one girl was going to the restroom. She managed to stay in there long enough to get her pants pulled up before she came bursting out of the stall and almost ran Anna over trying to make her escape. They ended up taking duck tape to all of the holes they could find a mouse might be able to get in through. It was quite funny.

The heat for the next few days was stifling. We were practically forcing the girls to drink more water and a few got sick because of it. We were grateful when on Thursday we had a storm blow through. It came through so quick the leaders were trying to save one of the cabins by sweeping the water away from the porch and I had a bucket and was shoveling it as fast as I could. Needless to say my shoes were soaked because my flip flops were back at my cabin.

We enjoyed making the crafts this year. They were a big hit and the girls really wanted to do them. Casse Quarnberg did a fantastic job picking them.

Skit night was funny and I am going to post our girl's skit from our ward. My sister is so talented when it comes to writing so I asked her to help me with it. I guess a lot of the credit needs to go to Dr. Seuss. We used Horton hears a Who as our theme. It is kind of dark but you can hear the girls so I thought I would post it anyway.

Testimony meeting is always my favorite part because you can feel the spirit so strong. We did an activity that was sure to invite the spirit. I'm sure some of you have done it before but it was holding to the Iron Rod. The girl's were blind folded and we led them in little groups through the woods and rocky trails. Then they came to the iron rod and held tight as people tried to tempt them with chocolate. (Little did they know it was baker's chocolate and didn't taste good in the least.) They came to the end of the rope and there was nothing there to really guide them. They were told to follow the spirit. They were in a huge open field and would have to listen to the music on the other side of the field and walk with faith that they were going the right way. There were people in the field to guide them with their words. It was truly touching to see them walk through the field. When they got to the end there was the tree of life and they received the fruit of the tree (donuts).The girls I'm sure were touched as was I. I can't tell you what a great opportunity it is for me to be able to get to know these girls a little better and watch them grow so much from year to year. Listening to their testimonies grow and change is so neat. They are truly amazing and I am so glad I get to work with them!

5 comments:

sully said...

I love the pics! & you were made to lead, teenagers love you!

Watkins Clan said...

I did a lot of girl scout camps growing up and I loved going- I bet it's kind of similar. Camp is great no doubt!

Lewis Family said...

You are an awesome example to your girls, and to me! Glad you survived with only a bruise to your elbow and some soaking wet shoes. Your post made me fall in love with Girls camp all over again!

Annette said...

Girl's camp is so important! It is really the first time that I felt the spirit and recognized it on my own. I think that is why President Hickley was such a strong supporter of it. It is sometimes the place where you save a girl. Glad you could go.

Melisa said...

How fun! Miss you all!

I love that the chocolate was actually baker's chocolate. So true to life...